Pages

Jan 17, 2018

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 1057: GLA #4, September 2005

https://www.comics.org/issue/229715/

Now, this is what I was hoping for from this comic. It's silly, it's superhero-y, it's a bit sad, but ultimately a happy(ish) ending. Rather than simply be cruel to the characters, they're put into a situation in which they handle themselves with their own particular brand of aplomb.

And one panel, 4 pages from the end, makes the entire series worth the read: the first meeting of Squirrel Girl and Tippy-Toe. Regular readers of The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl will recognize the sassy chum of SG, and it was a really lovely moment when I realized I was witnessing the beginning of their friendship. Lovely enough that I almost blocked out the panel of SG crying over Monkey Joe, her former squirrel BFF.

This was a problematic series. I think it hit its stride way too late in the game, and didn't really evince the affectionate stance on its characters that a superhero comic book should. Even comics that focus on villains tend to offer a sympathetic perspective. This comic is not sympathetic to its characters, and in the kind of superhero writing that this comic demonstrates, that sympathy is important.

Not sure where we're going tomorrow. I have two things I want to do - either a week of adult comics from Eros, or starting on the first 25 issues in my run of Supreme, which will be monumentally bad. Guess you'll have to tune in tomorrow.

To be continued.

No comments: