Pages

Jan 16, 2018

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 1056: GLA #3, August 2005

https://www.comics.org/issue/229714/

Now, you all know I love Squirrel Girl, and as far as I'm concerned everything starring her is glorious.

Well, not this series. It's just cruel and unfunny. The first page is a disclaimer page, a trait shared by each issue, that decries the casual way violence against women is portrayed in comics. And then it goes on to reveal that the way that Big Bertha reduces her mass is to vomit everything up. Seriously. It's a bulimia joke.

Which the comic seems to be aware of, and seems to understand is inappropriate, but then goes ahead and does it anyway. I just do not understand what's going on here. If there was even the inkling of the comic presenting its violence as ironic, rather than slapstick, I think the series might be redeemable. And perhaps it is trying to do that and I'm just missing stuff, but it really doesn't seem like it. For example, on the aforementioned bulimia page, Squirrel Girl's sidekick Monkey Joe facepalms, and offers Marvel's address for complaint mail. But then the story goes on as if nothing bad has been said, and the ironic moment that might have saved the story disappears. And it seems to do this with each issue.

I'll admit, I'm a bit annoyed I paid so much for the final issue. Which we'll get to tomorrow.

To be continued.

No comments: