Pages

Dec 6, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 1015: Speed Racer featuring Ninja High School #1, August 1993 (Ninja High School Week!)

https://www.comics.org/issue/264095/

This comic was just okay. I like the idea of crossing over something like Ninja High School with a property that was obviously an inspiration, but I'm not sure it totally works. And I don't know why. It could be, I suppose, that I'm just not familiar enough with the characters for it all to gel nicely for me, or it could be that there's just too many characters. Or it could be that the comic is just sort of "meh."

It is nice to see the NHS characters in colour, which I've not seen yet. That aside, there's a whole lot of set up (a race in Quagmire that Speed and his team are attending) and not that much development. Is that asking too much in the case of a crossover, though? I'm just thinking back to the recent Crisis on Earth-X Arrowverse crossover, and there really wasn't that much character development. Even the big crossovers, like the original Crisis, feature little or no characterization. Crossovers are more about story than they are about character, and so we get the 2-dimensions of the character, rather than the full three dimensions. Speed is a race car driver, Itchy is a ninja, Asrial is an alien warrior with mech armour. That's really all that's needed here.

I've no idea what the rest of the crossover was like, but I'm sure it continued much like this issue. Perhaps one day I'll find out.

To be continued.

No comments: