Pages

Nov 16, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 995: The New Mutants Annual #4, 1988

https://www.comics.org/issue/43855/

I was almost not going to read this issue, as I wanted to leave it until I eventually (and perhaps sooner rather than later) get to reading all of The New Mutants. This was absolutely one of my favourite comics in the 80s, and aside from some of the crappy Liefeld stuff at the end, I have the whole series. But here I am.

As I noted in yesterday's post, I'm still not seeing much of a through line to these stories. That's okay in this case, as I'm familiar with the characters and situations, which convinces me even more that this crossover should be seen as a series of discreet stories, rather than one long, interconnected one.

Contrary to the cover up there, the High Evolutionary doesn't even show up in this issue, but his cronies are tasked with removing Magma's powers because she might one day cause some catastrophe that will endanger evolved humanity. Again, I'd ask wouldn't this simply be something that the evolved humanity would be able to deal with with the god-like powers about to be bestowed upon them? The Evolutionary likens himself to a god at the beginning of the crossover, and hopes to "elevate" humanity to his level - so surely they'd be able to take care of themselves in the face of a single young woman like Magma.

What's quite good about this issue is that it really does shift the paradigm for one member of the team, and then the backup feature explores the ramifications of that change. Very often a crossover will have little to no impact on the stories being told in the regular series, so it's always refreshing to see a fundamental narrative shift like this come from what really could have been a throwaway story.

To be continued.

No comments: