Pages

Oct 15, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 963: Avengers Annual #15, 1986

https://www.comics.org/issue/40913/

One of the things I've been doing as I read through the Roger Stern-scripted issues of Avengers is to skip over any that aren't written by him, regardless of whether or not they were part of the regular story.

I probably should have stuck to my guns. Now, this is not to say that there's anything wrong with Danny Fingeroth's script in this issue. It's a good, full-cast Avengers story, and deals with the current problems in the ongoing title to do with the status of the team vis a vis the American government. But, as with annual 13, the Steve Ditko art in this issue is just abysmal. Even with the inks of Klaus Janson over top, the art is totally stiff and uninspiring - very unlike early Ditko Marvel. I know the guy's a legend, but this is just really poorly done comics.

I'll move on to the West Coast Avengers annual that finishes this story, but thank goodness we're getting back to the regular team in a couple of days.

To be continued.

No comments: