Pages

Jul 17, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 873: Weather Woman #3, October 2000

https://www.comics.org/issue/340187/

Whatever may have happened in issue #2, it's culminated in a number of people (and dogs apparently) ingesting a laxative meant for protagonist Keiko. I find that Japanese comics are far more tolerant of bowel-related humour (and sometimes not humour) than North American comics. Which I'm actually okay with.

I don't know if it's the translation, or if it's just the way the story goes, but I'm having a hard time following the action of this series, even disregarding the missing issues. There are sometimes responses, both physical and verbal, to which I can't identify the impetus for the response. And the comic jumps around a lot. Add to this that Keiko's expressions are all very similar, and I feel like I'm missing a large part of the story. It's not the first time, but definitely the most noticeable time for me, that I've had trouble following a manga. I try to bear in mind as I read a translated work that there's always going to be things I'm not going to get. This one's been particularly tough. I wonder if it has something to do with rearranging the panels to fit North American reading, or if it's simply a series that relies on innuendo and reference that North American readers are unaware of, or are untrained in recognizing.

Ah well. I'll keep plugging away tomorrow. To be continued.

No comments: