Pages

Jul 16, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 872: Bear, Bird and Stag Were Arguing in the Forest (And Other Stories), 2014

http://retrofit.storenvy.com/products/6152809-bear-bird-and-stag-by-madeleine-flores

Okay. Slight technical difficulties fixed. A digression from Weather Woman, just for one day. I picked this comic up the other day while wandering around Calgary with a couple of friends. I've been following Retrofit Comics on Tumblr for a while now, but this is the first time I've read a full publication from them. It's cute, and funny, and, in some parts, quite moving. The story "Weave" in this comic is quite lovely, and the simple art is haunting. Ms. Flores's animals in the title story are hilarious and have a wonderful range of expressions that one might be surprised to see on a bear, bird, or stag. And, really, in the end, the get the ruler they deserve (no spoilers - you'll just have to go read it yourself).

I picked the comic up at Shelf Life Books in Calgary, and I was, I'll admit, surprised to see individual comics like this one in an independent book store. It's great to see that there are retailers out there willing to take a chance on comics, and willing to acknowledge that even the individual issues of comics have a place in more mainstream outlets, rather than them being relegated solely to the dusty corners of comics shops. Maybe I'll pop back down there in the coming weeks and pick up a few more, just to show my appreciation.

To be continued.

No comments: