Pages

Oct 15, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 233: Alpha Flight v.1 #10, May 1984


What was that I was saying about Marvel New York yesterday? Well, today, James Hudson moves to New York. I guess hoping for a comic that was set in Canada was really too much. The same issue I brought up yesterday applies here as well, as far as travel time (New York is about 9 hours from Toronto), but adds to that issue thoughts of sovereign air space and the crossing of international borders.

Of course, this comic is set well before the uber-paranoid measures that require a passport to get from Canada to the U.S. (For those on the younger side, before 9/11, Canadians and Americans actually trusted one another, and you could use a driver's license to cross the border.)

More troublingly, the conclusion of Sasquatch's tussle with the Super Skrull has him turn into an orange, furry version of the Hulk. Patriotic, flag-wearing hero moves to New York. Rocky Mountain-based hero becomes knock-off of seminal American monster/hero. Bah.

Time to take a break from Alpha Flight for a bit, I think. I'm getting cranky. I'll get back to them in a week or so. I've a stack of old comics sitting on the basement floor that have been in dire need of a read, so I'll pull out a few of them. See you tomorrow!

No comments: