Pages

May 1, 2014

The Horror from the Dollar Bin!!!

A new feature.

(Yeah, right, everyone thinks.  I see how often you update this.)

Of late I've been filling in holes in my collection with stuff from the dollar bins.  A lot, and I do mean a lot, of Steve Gerber's stuff ends up there for some reason.  I'm going to chalk it up to him being well ahead of his time and leave it at that.

One of the series I've been trying to pull together is a full run of Image/Maximum/Awesome's Supreme.  I have, of course, Alan Moore's spectacular run on it, and Erik Larsen's cancelled-too-soon follow-up.  But the series ran for 40 issues before Moore and company took over, as well as a few ancillary series.  And my interest in them is their reimagining of Superman.  They do some truly awful things to the big blue boyscout, and I'm interested in seeing if there's a glimmer of a good idea there somewhere.

As such, today while pouring through the bins, I came across Lady Supreme #1, one of the aforementioned ancillary series.  It's written by Terry "Strangers in Paradise" Moore, which makes me feel like it should have something going for it.  I've had issue #2 for a long while, and the third part of the story appears in Maximum Press's Asylum series (gotta try to find that), but I figured with two issues in my hands, I could at least make a go of it.  I got four pages in, and then this happened:

I honestly don't even know what to make of this.  I knew she had a ridiculous costume.  Every woman in an Image title in the Nineties had a ridiculous costume.  But this is really beyond the pale.

Anyway, it inspired me.  As I make my way through these dollar bin treasures, I'll share the most horrendous things I find.  And who knows...I might find really great things, and start another feature.  The Treasure in the Dollar Bin, perhaps?

But seriously.  That "costume."

No comments: